Sunday, October 7, 2018

Sassafras trees, I learned to love trees when I was young.


Sassafras trees, I learned to love trees when I was young.





Sassafras trees (Sassafras albidum) of the Laurel Family (Lauraceae), were a thing of my youth and where I grew-up on Sherburne Street not far from Massabesic Lake; we had a small stand growing next to my father’s pretend stone wall east of the house.
Sassafras always interested me because I thought I was Tarzan and they made great climbing trees for the monkey in me; Sassafras could bend to the ground or transfer me from one tree to another and not break under my 50-60 pounds of light-weightiness, but they were also interesting trees, their leaves were an odd shape and a cool autumnal red color, the bark was a light to medium brown and quite rough and ridged, but they used to be used for soap and tea.
I learned to love trees when I was young.





Copyright 2010-2018 Dennis Tsiorbas
All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment